top of page
  • ttsportdiary

Defence Force U-20 Men Remain Perfect In Tiger Tanks Tournament

Tiger Tanks Invitational Tournament had 3 games on display in the Trinidad zone as match day 4 has begun. At the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the Saturday afternoon was pretty hot and so seemed the ball as both teams, San Juan Jabloteh and Petit Valley-Diego Martin United, had a hard time holding on to it in game one. Despite the first half being very scrappy, before the 25th-minute water break Jabloteh’s youths had roughly seven attempts on the PVDM goal, all of which they failed to put away.

On the stroke of half time, Jabloteh’s wing back Jesus Phillip saw the opposing goalkeeper off his line and went for the spectacular lob which brilliantly gave the boys in red a one-goal lead. Upon the game’s resumption, Jabloteh kept their feet on the gas and won a penalty which was converted by Dwight Jordan, the eventual game’s most valuable player. The Petit Valley-Diego Martin combination pulled one back through Joshua Mason in the 82nd but the boys in the black were not as clinical as they needed to be to get a positive result from the game, which ended 2-1 in favour of Jabloteh.

San Juan Jabloteh players (red) celebrate after their teammate Jesus Phillip scored the opening goal against Petit Valley-Diego Martin United.

Across at the Police Barracks for the 4pm game between the Defence Force and Police though, was an entirely different narrative - high intensity, skill and action were all very much present. The young men in yellow got the ball rolling early when Aaron Johnson saw his long range effort trickle over the goal line to give Defence a 7th minute lead. Defence Force’s Captain Fantasic Malachi Daniel doubled the lead in the 21st minute with a steamy free kick from about 25 yards out. At this time it was one way traffic and it was all heading towards Police’s goal. In the 31st minute, the visitors added a third goal when Jelani Peters got in on the fun with a towering header. His goal was the final goal of the half.

Defence Force’s Jelani Peters (Center) celebrates after scoring against Police at the Police Barracks in St James.

In the 90th minute, Police’s Nathaniel De Silva got his team onto the scorecards but at the end of the game, his goal goal could only provide some consolation as Jerry Morris put the final nail in Police’s coffin with a 93rd minute penalty kick. Malachi Daniel picked up the man of the match award as he continues to lead his team to perfection, with four wins from four games and a seat at the top of the table with 12 points.

Defence Force’s captain Malachi Daniel (right) bangs home this free kick against Police at the Police Barracks in St. James.

bottom of page